Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm back!

I think it's been along while since I've blogged. I have all these things I want to get done but our little bug has kept us quite busy. Since I'm new at this mom thing, my time management skills have been put to the test. I am going to try really really hard to get back on the blog wagon as I always enjoy reading what's happening with friends and family.

We've definitely had a challenging time with our little Leila. She is the light of our life, and brings us so much joy but she's been somewhat of a fussy princess for the first 3 months of her little life. We think she's finally started to enjoy more things and is independently learning to play so that I can get things done around the house. All in all, motherhood has been challenging yet rewarding, and as everyone says the months are just flying by. I wouldn't change it for the world. We are so in love!

We had a 3 month Dr. appointment today to get some more shots. We are breaking them up so we get to see the Pediatrician monthly. Unfortunately Leila was born with her head tilted to one side, or what they technically call Torticollis. She was malpositoned inside utero and therefore the neck muscle tightens on one side and prevents the baby from looking to the opposite direction, causing the head to become flattened. We have done physical therapy at home and the Doctor was very impressed with the progress her neck muscles have made but wants her to have more aggressive therapy done at the hospital. She is still favoring looking to one side a little but has come along way from when she was born. She used to scream when we made her turn to her bad side. So, we are going to try therapy and see if it works. Eventually she may need to wear a soft helmet to correct the problem of her misshapen head but we are hopeful that with the progress she's made so far that she will continue to make strides with therapy. The bones are so pliable at this age that they are continually shifting. He also measured her head circum. and said her head is 15" and hasn't grown in a month. He wants to keep an eye on it because that puts her below the 25th percentile for head growth. He then looked at me and said I have a little head, measured it and said it actually is normal for an adult but on the smaller side. Maybe my peanut baby will have my little peanut of a head. I am hopeful it will grow this month, otherwise he wants to do a CT scan to make sure the sutures of the head aren't fusing together preventing growth. The good thing is all her developmental milestones are right where they should be with her laughing, smiling, cooing, grasping objects and holding herself up on her tummy. Things could be worse, so I will keep talking to her head to encourage it to grow! The percentiles are just numbers....I hate when they say you are "underaverage." We think our daughter is perfect! :) She weighed in at 12 lbs 12 oz, up from 10 lbs 9 oz last month. My little chicken nugget loves her breastmilk.

This weekend we loved having my best friend/college roommate Michelle come visit. Although we didn't get to go do much we relaxed and did go down to the water for lunch. I miss having her live closer so we could grab a coffee or lunch. Someday our kids will play together and be best friends! Thanks for making the trip Michelle. We were hoping she'd change a diaper to get her ready for kids someday but she refused......even the easy pee ones. I was so happy that she got to hold and play with Leila. She will be a fantastic, loving mother someday and I can't wait for her to start that journey!

1 comments:

Michelle MGD said...

I need a haircut.

So glad you are back to blogging! I expect an entry a week. Just type with one hand while Leila is eating. I know you can do it.

I hope to see you in April!